Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

How to Remove a Hampton Bay flush mount ceiling fan

I have a old Hampton Bay Flushmount Ceiling fan in a bed room. I want to remove it to replace it with a new one.

However after removing the light fixture and switches I can NOT find a way to remove the fan or fan motor from the ceiling fixture. The only screws are on the TOP of the fan housing  3" from the ceiling where I can NOT get a screwdriver.

Am I missing something??

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-12-04T16:37:08+0000  by Thom Thom

My Hampton Bay Finishing Collar is secured by slightly screwing or twisting the collar onto the mounting screws. I tried to "Snap" the ring off as indicated and this broke the guides allowing the collar to fit securely. Please be careful if you are trying to 'Snap" the ring off.

Posted 2013-08-15T15:09:51+0000  by CraigH

Hello Thom,

Sorry you’re having such a hard time getting your fan down.

Good news is that you have most of the hard work done. I think the blade brackets are the most time consuming.

Now let’s help you get the rest of that fan down. Unfortunately the beige ring that won’t come off is the key. You have to get it off to get to the screws that hold the canopy on.

Most of them all you have to do is turn it a quarter turn and then it will fall down. Some just click on.

A lot of the time it gets stuck to the paint and you have to give it a little bit of help to come off.

If you still cannot get it off I have had to take a screw driver and a piece of thin wood (to protect the ceiling) and gave it a little push in between the ceiling and the beige piece to get it off. Most of the time it will just bow and pop off. Once you get it off you will see the screws that are holding the canopy on. Take it off to get to the fan bracket.

Here is a page from the instructions so you can see just how it is supposed to work.

Hanging a ceiling fan.jpg

I hope this gets your old fan down so that you can get a nice new fan installed.

Let me know if you have any other questions I would love to help.

Posted 2011-12-07T18:40:30+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Thanks but on my fan there are no screws visiable on the fan housing as illustrated in fig. #2. And NO I can NOT remove the beige ring from the housing near the ceiling. :(

Ceiling fan.jpg

Posted 2011-12-07T15:51:44+0000  by Thom

Good morning Thom,

Welcome to the community, let's talk about getting that old ceiling fan down...

Most flush-mount ceiling fans can be removed by following three simple steps shown in the images below...

how to remove a flush-mount ceiling fan.JPG

Those screws located on top of the fan/motor housing are the ones that do hold the motor housing and hides the mounting brackets. But, make sure before this is removed that the blade brackets and any light kits that will prevent the fan housing from sliding down need to be taken down first.

As for not getting accessibility to those top screws near the ceiling, I would recommend getting a bit extension with a power drill that can get into that hard-to-reach area. 

Try these steps out Thom and please update us on how it goes!

Regards,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2011-12-05T15:47:03+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+