Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

How to attach glass to front of shadow box

I am trying to build a large shadow box and would like to put glass or acrylic on the front. What is the best and easiest way to do this?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-09-26T16:37:33+0000  by MandyMaras MandyMaras

Hello MandyMaras,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your question.

I have built many shadow boxes in my day and there are many different ways to secure the glass in them.

The easiest way would be to build your box. Then install ¼” molding and cove molding to hold the glass in place.   

Measure the thickness of the glass and the cove molding to figure out where the top of the ¼” molding need to be installed from the top of the box.

Then install the ¼” x ½” basswood molding along all four side just below where you want the glass to set. Insert the glass. Then cut Cove molding to fit on top of the glass. Cut it with 45 deg corners to get a nice finished look. Install the moldings with a pin nailer or small finishing nails. **Being very careful while nailing the cove base so that you do not hit the glass. You could also install the ¼ molding with nails and then use glazing points to hold the glass in and use double-sided tape for the cove molding. This would allow you to change the glass or contents inside the box without damaging the cove molding.

I did a couple of diagrams to show you two of the most common ways to retain the glass in a shadow box.

I hope this helps you with your shadow box project. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

Posted 2017-09-27T17:52:08+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+