Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

How to attach something to concrete without drilling holes?

I want to add a trellis to my balcony to hold plants, but like most rentals I cannot drill holes into any of the walls. I would just like to know the best way to secure something to a concrete wall without having to use nails or screws. The blocks used are very uneven so things like command strips probably would not work well, and since it will be partially behind some furniture, I don't want to just lean it on the wall in case it decides to fall on my head!

Thanks for any suggestions!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-04-21T09:49:59+0000  by katiec84 katiec84

Hello katiec84 and welcome to the Community.

If you used an adhesive to secure your trellis to the wall, it may do more damage when you remove it then drilling holes.  Holes can be filled in after you remove the trellis but I would first contact your landlord.  They may give you the go ahead on the project if you have a plan to fill the holes.

Here are a few products you can use to fill the holes.

It can’t hurt to ask and landlords usually appreciate when their tenants are up front with them.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte.

Posted 2016-04-21T13:33:35+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Hi katiec84,

When challenged with a design issue, I sometimes turn the whole project upside down and look at it again.

In your case, trying to attach the trellis to the wall is forbidden by your landlord.

When I turn that upside down I see the trellis supported at the foot rather than the wall.

In other words, build a pair of wooden feet into the trellis that are strong enough to make it free-standing.

This will require a screw gun, wood screws, a saw and 2 X 4 lumber.

Make the feet long enough to extend about one and one-half feet in front and behind the trellis (depending upon available space).

Add upright supports onto the trellis legs ... about two-feet tall.

Use two and one-half inch brass or galvanized wood screws to attach uprights and feet.

If you need more strength, add diagonal supports from the feet up to the leg supports.

In total, this project should be easy to complete (2 on a 1-10 scale where 10 in most difficult) and cost less than fifteen USD.

If you have additional questions about this project, reply and we will detail further.

Hope this helps,

Pat InPaint

Posted 2016-04-21T14:07:13+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
You'd probably be better off replacing your trellis with a freestanding rack to hold your plants.  I have some friends who use something called a "bakers rack".

Posted 2016-04-22T10:03:22+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+