Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

How to build Built-in Bookshelf

I would like to build a built in bookshelf for my son like the one on this page http://www.custommade.com/built-in-bookcase/by/tonycustomwood/ . I have a indented space in the wall that would fit it perfectly. I would like to know the type of wood I should buy and any other tips you have in mind so my piece does not break fall apart along with my drywall.

Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-12-17T19:06:01+0000  by iavila82 iavila82

Howdy iavila82,

Welcome to the Home Depot community for starters. To get started on your "built in bookshelf" I'm guessing you are familiar with a drill, circular saw, and simple painting/staining.

Here are some tips in order of assembly;

• always use Oak, Pine, or other type of quality hardwood.
  • try to stack the wood shelves when cutting them to assure best cuts.
  • Always use use pilot holes to avoid splitting wood.
  • Satin Finish Polyurethane if staining or quality oil based paint if painting.
  • countersink the screws and use wood putty to get a professional look.
  • crown moulding should always be mitered perfectly. At the Home Depot we offer some pre-cut corners to make your project easier.

original[1] (2).jpg

Here is a link for more detailed information:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/ContentView?pn=Installing_Crown_Molding&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053

Here is a simple drawing I made up just for you.

bookcase.jpg

If you get the chance post some before, during, and after photos to show everyone how you did it!

Happy Building,

Posted 2012-12-18T00:09:02+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Can I have home depot build a unit to spec for me to install? I have two recessed cutouts in my bedroom.  One is 17" X 81".  The other is 26" X 76".  both are 96" high in a room with 9ft ceilings. 

Posted 2013-07-08T21:42:04+0000  by jimwhitson

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+