Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

How to build a built-in shelf

I would like to build a built-in shelf in my bedroom to hold my cable box and DVD player that go with my TV that is mounted on the wall. Can someone help me get started on what I would need and how to go about it? Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-07-04T20:08:17+0000  by NoviceJoe NoviceJoe

Hello NoviceJoe and welcome to The Community!  We are glad that you are here. 

First you will need estimate the weight of the cable box and DVD player.  Then check out what type of wall you have and its condition (ability to secure anchors).  A single shelf or two shelves may not properly support the weight and size of those items.  You may also need additional space for other electronics. 

martha shelves.jpg  
These Martha Stewart Living 24 in. Shelves have a shelf maximum load of 25 lbs.

An open bookcase may provide the support and space needed.   We have 2 great posts on the forums that discuss how to build bookshelves (open bookcases) and I definitely recommend them to you:

1.  Re: Book Shelves by Ask_Mr_Jay and

2. Re: Bookshelf D.I.Y by PaintPro

Depending upon your space, you may be able to install or adapt a modular system.  Check out our How To Install Deluxe Bookcases Project Guide

closemaid.jpg

This ClosetMaid Selectives Stackable 3-Shelf Organizer is 25" wide.

These posts should help get you started on what you need and how to begin your project.   

Don't forget to look at cable management systems to keep the cords in line.

cablemate 2.jpg     cablemate 1.jpg

Please keep us posted on your progress and contact us if you need more help.  Best wishes!

Posted 2011-07-05T14:19:46+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+