Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Answered

How to build a platform bed with storage?

I'm a college student on a very tight budget. I'm about to move into my first apartment soon and I have no bed frame.  I love the look of the platform beds, and have seen another post on how to make one.  Only thing is I need storage. How would I make a full size platform bed with storage underneath?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-05-29T02:07:17+0000  by Sweet_LionNess Sweet_LionNess

Hello Sweet_LionNess I was in the exact same spot when I moved into my first apartment.

Platform beds with built in storage can be quite a bit on the expensive side but like most things there are plenty of other options available to us. The method outlined by Ask_Mr_Jay in this thread details a great DIY method to building a platform bed but may be a bit on the heavy side for an apartment. 

What I found easier in my case was to take an inexpensive existing platform bed and modify it. Most platforms follow the same general layout, support braces encased within a finished plywood outer frame. By omitting portions of the outer frame you open up access to the spaces between the braces for storage. Cue quickly drawn example :robottongue:

platformB.jpg

The yellow spaces show areas where the finished frame has been cut away. This leaves the under area accessible as storage space. You should now have ample space available for under bed totes or baskets with minimal hassle. I would recommend that if you go this route that you take the build instructions for your particular model into your local store to speak with an associate on what modifications can be made. 

A Google search for "platform bed storage" will give you plenty of other ideas to think on, I've included a couple that stood out to me.

PFBed01.jpgPFBed02.jpg 

I hope you find this helpful and welcome to the community! Make sure to get back to us with any further questions.

Cheers,

ChrisFixit

Best Answer

Posted 2011-05-29T15:38:58+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL
about how much would this type of design cost in building material? I have everything except lumber?
Posted 2012-12-03T20:57:26+0000  by dedeelreed

Hello yogi2962.  Welcome to the Home Depot Community!

Thanks for the great suggestion.  The casters are inexpensive and convenient as an alternative to a full frame with slide in drawers.

Please don't hesitate to return with more ideas, and let us know if we can be of help with any questions you may have.

Newf.

Posted 2011-06-14T13:40:34+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

I have a twin bed in my den/office and we put it on blocks of wood approx 6 inches high ( sort of like the risers they sell at bed bath and beyond) then we used simple boxes with casters to slide under the bed. The boxes have handles and in our case are the width of the bed so there are three of them. You don't need a lot of tools to have the extra storage in fact if you are a salvager you might find former bureau drawers the right height to fit and all you need to do is add casters. Good Luck.

Posted 2011-06-14T01:29:28+0000  by yogi2962

Thank You so much!!  This is exactly what I was looking for. The storage examples are great because I'll be using platic bins to move stuff down.  Thank you again!

Posted 2011-05-30T00:07:55+0000  by Sweet_LionNess

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+