Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

How to build a simple table

Hi, my name is Anit.  I would like to build a simple table about 50 inches in length and about 10 - 15 inches high, and with 4 legs.  I saw a program where they build a table by using a wooden board (not sure which type it is), and attach the legs by using a leg kit which could be screwed in.  However, I am unable to choose the appropriate parts to do this project.   I dont have any big tools.  Please suggest a simple way to do this, and also if you could give me the part # or name of the materials required, then I can pick it up in my nearest store.

Thanks for your reply.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-10T05:28:11+0000  by aratname aratname

Greetings and welcome to our community!

My name is Tom, and I began woodworking when I could reach my the top of my Grandfathers workbench. I have built a wide variety of tables, bartops, counters and work spaces over the years, and am happy to share the following;

There is such a kit available at your local Home Depot. You simply start with the board you choose for the top, and add your choice of legs and the appropriate hardware to attach them to the top. There are several kinds to choose from, and in a variety of heights and materials. The 15" parsons leg pictured below has a bolt that is recessed in the top of the leg and attaches to a flange that has a threaded center. The flange is attached to the top using four screws. These parts are located in the millwork department of your local store.

parsonsleg.jpg

Another option is to use legs that attach directly to the top such as the ones available through homedepot.com that are pictured below;

metalleg.jpgroundleg.jpg

These are available on-line only, and both are made of metal. The one on the left is 15" tall, and the round leg is 16" tall. You can see these and many more by following this link;

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/Not-All/Ntt-table%2Blegs/h_d2/Navigation?Ns=P_REP_PRC_MODE|0&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&langId=-1

In summary, you can make your own table with just a screwdriver and a trip to your local store or a visit to homedepot.com.

Hope that helps, and again welcome to our community.

Posted 2011-02-10T13:14:40+0000  by HD116

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+