Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

How to built an indoor fireplace

I would like to built a fireplace in my family room, I have the fireplace insert what do i do

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-29T01:31:16+0000  by Cubanita1 Cubanita1

Hi Cubinita1,

Welcome to the Community, and thanks for asking!!

When I talk to customers in my Home Depot about fireplaces, the term "insert" seems to take on many different meanings.

If you can be more specific which kind of insert it is that you have, I can give better advise as to how to make the most of it.

We sell gas log sets this time of year at my store and many people refer to them as "inserts". We also sell electric, gas and wood burning heaters that install into existing fireplaces. I have heard different customers call all of these appliances "inserts".

Give me some additional information about your existing fireplace and your insert. Take some pictures and post them here.

I'm looking forward to your reply. Thanks again for the question.

Travis

Posted 2013-10-29T13:26:08+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not sure if Im explaining it right but here is a picture, is the kind that you put up against your wall and built bricks aroound it so it does not burn your walls, it is log fireplace. Please call me 909 3199256

Posted 2013-10-30T01:02:58+0000  by Cubanita1

Hi Cubanita1,

If the fireplace insert that you have is electric and plugs into the wall, you can build any kind of surround that you want. Just keep the heating element about a foot away from the wall surface.

If the fuel for the insert is gas, you will need a firebox that is intended for that type of gas logs. If they are Vent-Free gas logs you will need the firebox shown below.

This box is designed to be recessed into a wall where the gas line can be plumbed into the fireplace. Only Vent-Free can be used in this fire box.

If your insert is gas and is labeled as vented, it will require a fire box with a chimney venting to the outside.

Here is a link to a post that Pat In Paint made to help you to post pictures onto the Community:

http://community.homedepot.com/t5/The-Paint-Pit-Blog-Interior/A-Picture-Is-Worth-A-Thousand-Words-How-To-Post-Your-Pictures/ba-p/11669

Click on the link above to go there. Remember, you'll need to save the picture onto your computer before you add it here.

Thanks again,

Travis

Posted 2013-11-01T12:35:06+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+