Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

How to change a light bulb. Seriously!

I cannot figure out how to remove the light cover to replace the lightbulb on my circular, flush mount kitchen light fixture. The light fixture was installed when I purchased the home, so I do not know the manufacture or model number.  There does not appear to be screws holding the light cover in place. I have twisted the light cover both clockwise and counterclockwise and it does not release.  I would love any ideas of what I could do to remove the light cover so I can replace the lightbulb.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-06-06T15:57:56+0000  by NoviceNellie NoviceNellie

Good afternoon NoviceNellie,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

One thing I believe you didn't try yet was to attempt to pull the fixture straight down towards you via the edge trims. 

While I can't tell the scale of the image, it could be a 6 inch recessed shower trim light cover. If that is the case, this trim has springs that can removed as I stated earlier.

Other than that, check the glass again to see if you can slightly raise it upwards and turn it either clockwise or counterclockwise. Also look for any screws or fasteners that may hold or clip on the trim to the ceiling, if they can be seen.

Keep us updated on your progress, and I hope this information will assist  you.

Joseph

Posted 2015-06-06T19:30:12+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
The glass turns counter-clockwise to come off, maybe 1/16 of a turn.  Sometimes they can be a little obstinate.  If you're having trouble getting a good grip on the glass try one or two of those little rubbery pads used to open glass jars.  A silicone hot pot mat works or any gloves with silicone grips on them like "Ove Gloves".

Posted 2015-06-07T01:21:25+0000  by Adam444
Thanks to both of you for suggesting methods to remove the light cover, however I am still stumped. The white light covering can twist around one and a half times in either direction,  I have tried to push up and pulldown well feeling for some type of a notch to no avail.  There does not seem to be a spring, screws or clasp of any sort.The white light cover is about 8 inches in diameter with a 2 inch collar. The collar also will twist; I have tried to hold the collar in place while twisting the white cover and vice versa. Please let me know if you have any other ideas, or I may need to hire a handyman to help me change a lightbulb. How embarrassing!or I may need to hire a handyman to help me change a lightbulb. How embarrassing!

Posted 2015-06-07T19:49:59+0000  by NoviceNellie
That's a stumper!

When you twist the glass, does the "collar" move with it too?  If so, does rotate around a central point or is the movement eccentric.  Normally two screws would hold the fixture to the ceiling, keep it from turning.  I'm wondering if whomever installed it used one screw.

The "collar" moves independently of the glass?  That's odd.
Posted 2015-06-08T09:50:31+0000  by Adam444
The collar usually twists with the light cover, but I have held the collar so that it does not twist with the light cover. Both twist very properly around a central point. 
Posted 2015-06-13T23:43:21+0000  by NoviceNellie

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+