Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

How to change a lightbulb

OK, don't laugh - I can't figure out how to change a lightbulb in a track light fixture.  It is a Hampton Bay (ED673ABZ).

It uses halogen bulbs.  I can unscrew the collar at the end of the shade, but there is no room to grab the bulb and pull it out from the socket because of the shade around it.  I've tried unscrewing the shade, but it doesn't budge.  Help!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-05-25T13:47:07+0000  by onestepatatime onestepatatime

Hello Russcalot,

Welcome to the community.

From reading through the instructions it appears that the trim just snaps in so you should be able to just pull it straight down and it should snap right out. Be carefully not to pull the narrow plastic trim piece due to it may break. I would try and grab it from the metal part.

Make sure that no one chalked around the trim. If so you will need to carefully cut around it and then pull it off.

If you still have trouble let me know and I will go into my store and take one out of the box to confirm how it comes off. I can shoot a video for you it needed.

Let me know if you are able to get it off or if I need to make a trip to the store.

Thanks again for joining the how to community.

Posted 2013-07-24T19:36:27+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Hi There,

I have this same fixture installed. I need to change the lightbulb, but don't know how to unsnap the trim to allow access to the bulb. Can you help?

Thanks,

Russcalot

Posted 2013-07-23T23:47:01+0000  by Russcalot

Hello again Mitzaotomitza,

I'm glad to hear that you got the bulb back in place.

I understood that you were trying to get the bulb in without cutting the caulking but I just wanted to help with the frustration level and let you know that there isn’t any other way to do it besides taking the trim off and then installing the bulb before you reinstall the trim.  

Again I appreciate your response and your question.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

Posted 2013-05-17T18:26:34+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

That was very nice of you. 

I think it is obvious that my question was about: How to remove the bulb without cutting the caulking around the fixture???

I couldn;t bealive that the guys who installed it would do a trick just to keep it in place until somebody will just buy the house... and then off we go.

I had to cut it out and remove the fixture. I am glad that it is hard to notice the mess around the chrome ring since I was able to slide it back and match the cutting line.

Thank you for your answer!

M

Posted 2013-05-17T18:08:28+0000  by mitzaotomitza

Hello Mitzaotomitza,

Thank you for joining the community.

It looks like you have a recessed light fixture with a GU-10 bulb. You will need to take the bulb off again and then take the trim piece off. I'm not sure why the trim would be caulked but it shouldn't be. :smileyfrustrated:

Here is a cut away from the installation instructions from a light fixture that I believe is similar to the one that you have. There are many different styles out there so I can’t be positive that yours will remove the same way but I believe it should be very similar to this one.

Light Bulb Relacement Recessed.jpg

I hope this helps get your light bulb back to where it belongs.

Please let me know how it turns out. If you still cannot figure it out I will dig a little deeper to see if I can find another style of light like your picture.

Thanks again for joining the how to community.

Posted 2013-05-17T17:30:12+0000  by Christine_HD_OC
Is anybody on this site , smart enough to tell me how to reple a light bulb :)

THX
Posted 2013-05-04T02:26:59+0000  by mitzaotomitza

IMG_0287.JPGthe fixture is glued to the ceiling.

the inner ring won't come off , since the bulb is bigger then the ring I should be able to pull it out, twist it 90 degree, unscrew it or something. 

I had to break the bulb and get the socket out and the install a new one. Now again the bulb is bigger then the ring. 

Which are the steps in replacing a bulb in this type of fixture. 

Again the ring which is holding the bulb is tilting, rotating but it won t come out. IT SHOULD, BUT HOW ???

Posted 2013-05-03T16:43:13+0000  by mitzaotomitza

My recess light is caulked to the ceiling. There is no way to twist or pull out the inner ring.

The bulb is bigger then the opening. Please let me know how to extract the bulb out of the fixture since the fixture is just tilting rotating but it will not come off.

I am puzzeled!:smileyhappy:

Mike the lightbulb changer 

Posted 2013-05-03T16:29:34+0000  by mitzaotomitza

Hello Bass3715,

Welcome to the community.

Thank you for your helpful hint on how to install a GU-10 bulb.

The suction cup will also help in keeping the oils from your hands off of the bulb.

As you said some of the light fixtures come with them but if you lose it or as in your case you never had it. You will need to improvise or purchase one to finish the job.

We do sell a kit that is designed for changing bulbs but it’s primarily used for much larger size bulbs. In your case I think the one that you used is a perfect size.

Suction Cup Light Bulb Changer.jpg

We carry a few different sizes but I think the 1 1/8” suction cup would be the one that would work out the best. The GU-10 bulb measures 2” in diameter so the 1 1/8” suction cup will work out great.   

Suction Cup.jpg

Thanks again for your helpful hint. I’m sure you’re not the only one that has ran into this issue and by you letting us know what worked for you will help other with their projects.

Thanks again for joining the community.

Posted 2012-11-07T17:37:28+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Figured I'd share this little tip.  Apparently, to get the new bulb in you need a suction cup....that comes with the fixture.  The lady who owned the house prior to me threw this away.  

I used my Christmas light suction cup that I use to hang Christmas lights on my windows.  This worked and was fairly painless.  Hope this tip helps someone like me!

Posted 2012-11-04T13:48:42+0000  by Bass3715
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+