Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Answered

How to clean my hand tools

Anyone know the proper way to clean oil or grease off of a handheld tool?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-10-10T16:00:14+0000  by samsambuca samsambuca

Hi Sam, Hammer here with what I think is a very simple solution to your problem. You don’t specify which type of hand tool you need to clean, so I’ll answer in two parts, one for tools without cords and one for tools with cords. For your screwdrivers, pliers, and socket sets, all you really need is some glass cleaner and some paper towels. Just spray it on and wipe it off. If it’s a little tougher, I use a kitchen degreaser, let it sit, then hit with the glass cleaner to clean off any residue. Oven cleaner works well on really stubborn grease, but again, you’ll want to finish with the glass cleaner. Keeping your tools clean cuts down on slippage and knuckle scrapes, so it’s a good idea to do this regularly.

If it’s a drill or circular saw, use glass cleaner on the outside surfaces only. If you get oil into the motor, use electrical contact cleaner that is safe for plastics, and spray it into the motor.

Clean tools are happy tools and are also less likely to let you down when you need them most.

Best Answer

Posted 2010-10-10T17:48:58+0000  by TheHammer

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+