Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

How to completely remove painted texture from drywall?

Absolute rookie here. My apology if the question sounds stupid.

We just moved into our 1st home with a baby on the way, and I want to completely redo the nursery room. The room came with unsightly ugly textured walls which have at least 2 layers of acrylic paint on them, and the texture are made of plaster I believe. I want to get rid of the textures for a smooth wall. 

Some of the tutorials I found online calls for either sanding down the textures or skim coating over them. I'm trying to see if there's any way I can completely strip off EVERYTHING from the drywall before I re-prime and repaint them. We tried EzStrip popcorn ceiling remover and it doesn't work through. I'm just wondering if there's a better way to strip off the textures without adding more layers/getting dust everywhere??

Thanks in advance!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-02-18T01:52:44+0000  by Minya Minya

Hi Minya,

The problem with stripping is that the face of the drywall is paper, stripping will damage the paper surface and the drywall is ruined, leaving a fuzzy uneven surface. Sanding can cause the same result.

Thus skim coating the surface is the only real solution. Using drywall mud skin coat the surface with a drywall trowel or wide putty knife. Try to spread out the mud and create as smooth of a surface as possible.

Once this has dried you then can sand the surface smooth. Once it's smooth, prime the surface with a drywall primer/sealer and paint the walls. In my experience a primer/sealer works better than an all-in one paint on bare unpainted surfaces.

Mike, The Home Depot Answer Man

Posted 2017-02-27T23:27:41+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+