Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

How to cover a brick floor in kitchen

We live in a rental duplex home on the first floor. The house was raised up and our unit was built out but they left the original floor in the kitchen which is real, exposed, uneven brick. It gives the place charm but now that we have a baby, we want a new floor. We asked if we could use floor leveling material to cover up the brick and the landlord said no, we can only put something temporary down. 

We put down a thin layer of foam (that gray stuff) and a sheet of linoleum over it, adhering the linoelum with molding. The linoleum sheet is thin and is starting to tear so we need a plan B. Any ideas?

Should we replace the linoleum with a thicker sheet so it doesn't tear? Can we put a thin layer of plywood over the foam and then put linoleum over that? Is there anyway for us to put down some type of tile or interlocking floor with that uneven brick underneath?

Thanks!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-07-27T17:24:31+0000  by Hedder02 Hedder02

Hello Hedder02

With any project you must take into consideration how long you plan on living at this location and how much will this project cost.

I do not have an Ideal solution but I would try the plywood approach.  To reduce movement, tie the plywood together by using Simpson Strong Tie Plated.  Uses countersink screw to attach the plates into the plywood. I would use duct tape to soften the corners of the plates.

Unfortunately if you installed linoleum over those tie plates, the linoleum will probably be cut by the plate.  So, I would use an interlocking product that you can take with you when you move.

One type is the Pebble Top Lite Black 24 in. x 24 in. x 0.39 in. Foam Home Gym Interlocking Floor Tile (Case of 25), very economical.

If you are looking for a more natural wood look there is a product by the Place N’ Go, like the Red Oak 18.5 in. x 18.5 in. Interlocking Waterproof Vinyl Tile with Built-In underlayment.

The 5/16 in. thick body of Place N Go tiles includes a built-in, flexible underlayment structure that allows tiles to be laid directly over uneven and rough subfloors as well as over old-flooring, including grouted ceramic tiles.

I would like to hear about what you have decided to do and if possible send pictures.

Thank you for inquiry.

Charlotte.

Posted 2015-07-28T18:39:54+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Wow thanks for these great ideas! I'll keep you posted on what we do! Thanks
Posted 2015-07-31T05:27:12+0000  by Hedder02

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+