Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

How to cover wall tile in bathroom

house14.jpg

We REALLY want to get rid of that white tile that goes half-way up the wall around our entire bathroom.  We would like to keep the tile in the shower as-is though.  Any suggestions?? We were hoping there was a way to cover it up with wainscotting or something so we wouldn't have to chisel it off and probably replace the drywall...please help!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-11-28T14:41:12+0000  by rachelradschlag rachelradschlag

You could certainly cover up the tiles with wainscotting. Take some 1/2" plywood and cut it into strips. These strips would be screwed onto the wall at the top, middle, and bottom and become bracing for the wainscotting. It would probably be easiest to screw these plywood stips through the grout lines.

You would then run a bead of adhesive on the stips and then tack the wainscotting onto them. Top moulding would be used to finish the look.  

Posted 2012-11-29T06:00:40+0000  by CoastalClass

Thanks! I've read online that you have to be careful about mold in between the wainscotting and the tile due to the humidity from the shower and stuff. Is that true?? If so is there a way to preven this? Would I just use clear caulking to seal up the edges?

Posted 2012-11-29T15:23:37+0000  by rachelradschlag
I have to admit the issue of mold never crossed my mind. I am not sure if putting wainscotting over the tile would be any more susceptible than a normal wall surface. I could see the issue of moisture getting trapped in between the two and then that causes the growth.

So yes caulking to seal the edges and seams could help with this, it will also help complete the look and make it appear seamless.

The larger issue though is ventilation in the bathroom space. If you do not have a bathroom exhaust fan you should strongly consider it. I have one and even then I still keep the door open while showering. If you come out after a hot shower and the mirror is completely fogged up you are inviting mold and mildew problems.
Posted 2012-11-29T20:02:52+0000  by CoastalClass

Here is a link to a Home Depot Guide on Bathroom Fans

Posted 2012-11-29T20:07:39+0000  by CoastalClass

Hey there rachelradschlag,

This sounds like it could be a fun project and hopefully give that room the new look that it needs!~

Did you happen to have an idea of what you'd want to cover it with by chance? Your options are certainly open as you can either paint over the tile using a method like the one outlined in the posting Can backsplash tile in the kitchen be painted over? or you can also use a new product Rust-Oleum Tile Transformations which would work great too!

Another alternative would be to tile over that tile, as well. Although I'm not sure how keen you are on still having tile up : )

Posted 2012-11-29T21:25:59+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+