Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

How to cut glaze tile without chipping.

I purchase a wet  tile saw from Home  Depot and tired to cut glaze tile but the encountered a lot of chipping.  I consulted a your employee in the tile dept and he told me I need a tile cutter.  I now having problem with the tile breaking not where I scored it. 

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-03-09T07:40:34+0000  by 4282lvn 4282lvn

Hello 4282lvn,

Thanks for joining us here on the community, welcome.

I would say to stick to your wet saw and take back the manual tile cutter, since you already have a much more efficient tool to cut your tiles. I say this from lots of experience in cutting all kinds of tiles throughout the years. Only a wet saw will give you the smoother cut than a manual tile cutter, especially if you aren't familiar with either tool.

If you are encountering a lot of chipping as you say on your wet saw, I believe the problem is in cutting the tiles too fast.

You have to be very patient in cutting tiles, whether it is a wet saw or a manual tile cutter. If the wet saw's tray moves toward the cutter, SLOWLY cut the tile towards the blade, and ensuring that the saw is constantly getting sprayed with water from the pump. If you push the tile too fast towards the cutter, you'll increase your chances of chipping the tile.

Also, experiment with a few extra tiles to make sure you are cutting the tiles effectively. If you are cutting them correctly and slowly, make sure the blade is new and installed properly.

Even with the best wet tile saws out there, you can and will run into some minor chipping from time to time. If you layout any tiles for a floor or wall space, be sure to install those tiles with cut edges nearest to the edge away from any middle areas. That way, even with chipping, you most likely won't be able to tell or even see it, especially if it gets covered up by moulding.

Try these suggestions out. I'm working on tiling a coffee table as we speak, and the only tool I trust for cutting my glass mosaic tiles are my QEP wet saw.

Hope this has assisted you, and let us know if you have any further questions.

Posted 2013-03-09T16:23:47+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+