Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

How to finish my basement?

I have a million questions on how I should finish my basement. I have looked in books,on the internet and watched  
TV shows, and each one tells me to do it a different way. I have no water or structural issues (as of now) so should I frame or install furring strips? Do I use drywall or cement board? Paneling or just paint? If anyone has any suggestions or can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-22T20:33:11+0000  by firescool firescool

Hey Firescool,

I am Gregg and I really like your screen name, hah. Finishing a basement is over overwhelming and there are a lot of different ways you can do it. It is important to have a game plan, so get a new notebook and on the cover write “Basement Remodel” because you need to take a lot of notes. First I would clear out the basement as much as possible. Having it empty is ideal, but not always possible. Allow yourself as much work space as possible. Measure out areas where you need to add walls and doors and mark it on the floor with painters tape.

Framing the walls is the best way to go about it, so you can have an electrician easily add electrical boxes and run the conduit. Before you frame you should seal the foundation wall and insulate. Fill in any cracks and go over the whole surface with a sealer. Check with your local code on how much insulation is needed for basement walls and depending on your area what kind of insulation you will need. Check with your neighbors on how they have done their basements. Also go into your local Home Depot and ask what is common for your area.

For the walls I would recommend drywall. Drywall is easy to work worth, inexpensive, and easy to fix if damaged. What have you thought about using for the floor and ceiling? Drywall would work for the ceiling, but if that’s not possible then you might want to consider a suspended ceiling. Let me know some more of your concerns and keep us posted on the community throughout the project. -Gregg

Posted 2011-02-23T18:40:33+0000  by gotogregg
I too am remodeling my basement and had lots of ?'s on how to do it. So I went to the home depot n help from my friend who is in construction. I started emptying it first the more room the better is right. I then cleaned the walls n floors. Then put 2 coats of mildew n mold blocker paint on the walls n floor. Yes get a notebook or paper write a list of supplies, tools you need like hammers, nails, square, drill, hammer drill, mason bits, etc. Draw out a plan of what u want it to look like. Trust me having a drawing of what you want makes it go alot easier. Sometimes plans change too like mine I have several different drawings. I have a floor plan and closet plan and the electrical plan where I want recepticals and light switches, cable, networking. Take photos to it helps when drawing up plans. Drywall is the best for your ceiling. I have 1 low ceiling and 1 high ceiling. So in the low 1 I'm drywalling it and putting in recessed lighting. The other 1 I'm putting in a drop ceiling but still using recessed lighting. I'm to the point of electrical so having that professionally done with permits and codes have someone else do that part. Well said enough for now tttyl Mr Wiggles
Posted 2012-07-17T17:08:25+0000  by Wiggles

Hello Wiggles.  Welcome to the Community!

We are glad to have you join the forum.

Please keep us updated on your projects and feel free to join in helping others just as you have here.

Thanks,

Newf.

Posted 2012-07-17T17:57:22+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
I need help how I insulate my basement myself all I need to buy ..etc
Posted 2015-11-02T00:49:28+0000  by Zapo

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+