Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

How to fix cloudy concrete sealer?

I just etched, dyed and sealer my basement concrete floor, but the last coat of the Behr Low Luster sealer left cloudy and milky streaks from my roller.  Any help appreciated!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-01-16T17:10:29+0000  by parkergreenville parkergreenville

Hello parkergreenville,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

To get to the bottom of your cloudy sealer, we will need more information from you first.

• How many coats of the Behr Low-Lustre Sealer did you apply? No more than 4 coats should be applied.
  • Did you apply the sealer in even coats with a roller, and did you use other means of applying to the concrete?
  • Although it sounded like you did prep the surface of the concrete by etching, but specifically what type of 'sealing' did (if any) to it before using this product?
  • Did you apply the sealer when the surface temperature was between 50 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit? 
  • Was, or is there, a high presence of moisture in the basement floor before and during the application?

If you can answer any of those questions, you can get closer to solving the cloudiness of the sealer.

Although in situations like this, I've seen issues with alkalinity and/or moisture present in the concrete. Since it is cloudy, it sounds like it didn't cure because of those reasons.

Failure to address this causes situations like yours. And unfortunately, there is no 'fix', only removal and replacement of the existing failed sealer. You can use a concrete cleaner to remove it, and test the surface to ensure a low presence of moisture and a warmer temperature occurs is the best time to reapply it. .

Apply it the same way you have before, except under these best conditions.

Let us know if you have any further questions, and keep us updated on your progress.

Joseph

Posted 2016-01-16T19:28:36+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+