Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

How to fix sheet rock

I have what I call a dent in the wall in my kitchen,boys bumped into it and  its a long dent from the end of light switch to the baseboard.about 1 foot across and three feet down. its pushed in just enough to notice it ,bout the depth of a dime.How do I fix  or patch this?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-05-25T08:30:28+0000  by SandyFix SandyFix

Hey SandyFix,

While growing up I made so many holes and dents in the walls of my parent’s house that I have become an expert at fixing them. When I was kid I found that the best fix was to put a poster over it, but that’s not always the best solution. Haha.

I have actually tried a few different ways to repair dented drywall, but have found that only one way works the best. Unfortunately the best solution is to replace the damaged area. It isn’t a difficult job but it is a little messy and requires some patience.

The picture below is how your wall is constructed.  drywall.JPG

First locate a stud on each side of the damaged area. Then mark where the studs are and cut out the damaged are as square as possible using a jabsaw.

jabsaw.jpg

The hole you cut should end on the center of both studs. This will allow you to secure your new piece of drywall into place. You should also add a 1x3 in bewteen the studs for better support. Here is a How-to guide that also explains this process.  Click the picture below.

step_3.jpg

After you cut out the damaged drywall you will measure all four side of the hole. Now using those measurements you will cut a new piece of drywall. Cutting drywall is very easy. All you need is a T-square and a utility knife.   

square.jpg                                                    utility knife.jpg

Put the cut piece of drywall into place. Use the utility to shave off areas that are too big. Then screw the new piece into the 1x3 and studs.  

Now it is time to tape! Using this mesh tape will give you the best results. It is self adhesive and ultra-thin.

tape.jpg

Take your time when adding the joint compound. The first coat isn’t going to look pretty, but after you sand it and add a finishing coat you should be good to go. Here is How-to guide that better explains taping and mudding joints. Click the picture below.

step1.jpg

Every picture is also a link.  If this doesn't help let me know right away. Good luck! If you have any questions post em' up.

-Gregg

Posted 2011-05-25T14:02:29+0000  by gotogregg

Hi,

Thank you so much for posting this project.  I have tried to patch my walls twice and both times the patch has cracked.  Now I know why...lack of support. 

My question is whether I need to "bust out" my previous attempts that have cracked and redo the entire job or should I sand what I already have and apply more coats.

I appreciate all of the advice that you and your associates provide...it makes home repairs doable.

Respectfully,

Beth Rheams-Shaw

gotogregg wrote:

Hey SandyFix,

While growing up I made so many holes and dents in the walls of my parent’s house that I have become an expert at fixing them. When I was kid I found that the best fix was to put a poster over it, but that’s not always the best solution. Haha.

I have actually tried a few different ways to repair dented drywall, but have found that only one way works the best. Unfortunately the best solution is to replace the damaged area. It isn’t a difficult job but it is a little messy and requires some patience.

The picture below is how your wall is constructed.  drywall.JPG

First locate a stud on each side of the damaged area. Then mark where the studs are and cut out the damaged are as square as possible using a jabsaw.

jabsaw.jpg

The hole you cut should end on the center of both studs. This will allow you to secure your new piece of drywall into place. You should also add a 1x3 in bewteen the studs for better support. Here is a How-to guide that also explains this process.  Click the picture below.

step_3.jpg

After you cut out the damaged drywall you will measure all four side of the hole. Now using those measurements you will cut a new piece of drywall. Cutting drywall is very easy. All you need is a T-square and a utility knife.   

square.jpg                                                    utility knife.jpg

Put the cut piece of drywall into place. Use the utility to shave off areas that are too big. Then screw the new piece into the 1x3 and studs.  

Now it is time to tape! Using this mesh tape will give you the best results. It is self adhesive and ultra-thin.

tape.jpg

Take your time when adding the joint compound. The first coat isn’t going to look pretty, but after you sand it and add a finishing coat you should be good to go. Here is How-to guide that better explains taping and mudding joints. Click the picture below.

step1.jpg

Every picture is also a link.  If this doesn't help let me know right away. Good luck! If you have any questions post em' up.

-Gregg

Posted 2011-06-05T19:38:32+0000  by congo2ed

Hey there Beth,

Thanks for joining us here on the community, welcome!

I'm glad you like our little site, it really is handy for even small projects like you are tackling.

In terms of "busting out" your previous attempts of the sheet rock, well...it depends. It depends on several things such as size and how big the cracks are. 

The key thing to remember is if the attempt was done and you see in a given amount of time the actual crack getting larger or growing, then yes I would forego repairing the section again.

If the crack were to grow and without adequate support, even with sanding/prepping/spackling the actual section can just show the crack again, history repeating itself so to speak.

Very small cracks that are even with the other section of the wall can be remedied with simply sanding and spackling. 

putty knife.JPG

So if the cracks are causing a problem, remove them and follow the steps that gotogregg gave in this great post above our threads here.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2011-06-06T19:26:22+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+