Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

How to give old dresser antique or weathered look?

Hi, Forums.

Here's a question that Erin left us on a Home Depot Blog post about Martha Stewart Project Paint.

I am trying to paint an old wood dresser to have a more antique or weathered look. What is the best way to do it? P.S the dresser cam painted in a glossy white.

So, how does one give an old dresser an appealing weathered look?

Thanks!

Craig, from the Home Depot Blog

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-12-06T20:05:46+0000  by HomeDepotCraig HomeDepotCraig

Hey Craig,

Thanks for forwarding Erin's question!

Historically, I've given several sets of instructions that Erin should find useful.

In one post, I worked with a customer to change a half-moon hall desk from black lacquer to Behr Cotton Whisper in semi-gloss and then added Martha Living Faux Glaze in the color Muscavado.

1) The technique required buff sanding with 220-grit followed by a base coat of oil-based primer;

2) After that dried about 2-hours, we applied Behr Semi-Gloss Cotton Whisper;

3) After that dried about 6-hours, we applied a very thin veil of ML Muscavado Glaze; and

4) The grain effect resulted from wiping with tee shirt (lint-free) rags only 2-minutes after application.

Glaze is most commonly removed by wiping in the direction of the wood grain.

Here is a link that includes step-by-step instructions as well as a "How To" video.

Posted 2012-12-06T20:44:26+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

I have attached a picture of a door I distressed as part of a display showing some of the options one can do to existing finished cabinets.

The door was treated with standard RustOleum Cabinet Transformation technique. However, after the glaze was nicely laid out and dried, I then took a dampened 3M scrubby pad and purposely rubbed away some of the glaze to give a worn look. Indeed, some of the base coat was deliberately worn away back to the original finish, again giving a worn look.

100_2853.JPGdoors .

Posted 2012-12-07T06:03:35+0000  by ordjen

Attached is a picture of the display I put together to show some of the options the homeowner has to give a new look to older, generic looking cabinets short of stripping them100_2829.JPG

The upper left door is simply dark brown RustOleum spray over a normal honey oak door, along with newbrushed nickel handle to give a more modern look.

The upper left shows the color variations of MinWax Polyshades over a honey oakfactory finish.

Below is Behr Ultra Semi-Gloss on a piece of door casing which has clear semi-gloss MinWax urethane on it. This was done to demonstrate the adhesion of Ultra directly to a slick varnish.

Further below is an old 1960's type bath cabinet door. The door groove has been filled with a couple coats of vinyl spackling compound. The door was then sprayed with RustOleum white primer and semi-gloss white spray paint.

Again, a contemporary handle was added to update the appearance.

Finally, the Cabinet Transitions door which was pictured in the above.post.

Posted 2012-12-07T06:26:44+0000  by ordjen

Thanks, PatInPaint. I remember that "beachy" refinishing job you linked to above. It didn't occur to me that "beachy" is pretty close to "antique". 

ordjen-- those photos are very instructive. It's really intreresting seeing the comparisons of refinishing jobs on real-world examples. 

Posted 2012-12-07T14:51:14+0000  by HomeDepotCraig

There are so many different things you can do to furniture to antique it. For instance, do you want a painted finish or wood grain finish? Get some varied-grain sandpaper, 4 or 5 shades of spray stain (wood stain in an aerosol spray can), and a tube of dark green acrylic paint. First, remove all hardware. Then, using the biggest grain sandpaper, sand all the edges of the dresser...every place there is a line, corner, bump, etc. Then, go to the next biggest grain and do the same thing, keep going with finer and finer sandpaper. Start with the darkest spray stain and "spot paint" the dresser. Be as unstrategic as possible as you spray and don't try to cover the whole thing. Use a very fine sandpaper and lightly sand parts of the spots that you sprayed (always sand with the grain). Go to the next darkest stain, do the same thing, and then repeat the sanding. Keep going until you get to the lightest stain. It will give amazing look!!

Posted 2012-12-13T07:25:30+0000  by belmanliving

Fantastic Idea BelmanLiving!

Layer darker to lighter colors with successive sanding to leave only a hint of each.

Fun technique!

Great instruction!

Posted 2012-12-13T16:04:57+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Other Community Members are making great examples of faux and furniture treatments:

Outstanding examples!
Posted 2015-12-03T21:03:33+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+