Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

How to install a egress window in the basement?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-26T07:21:58+0000  by chemman11 chemman11

Hello Chemman11, welcome to our community!

I'm not clear if you have the window, or if your looking to purchase one. If you have the window, the manufacture will provide the instructions either in the box or on their website on how to install your specific. It's important to not generalize the installation of an Egress window because of so many different styles and manufactures, and especially safety concerns.

Installing an Egress window is very different than installing a regular window because the window needs to be operated in such a way so you can escape quickly, and easily. You must comply with the size requirements of the window as well as location of the window (distance from the floor of the basement). If you have a window well (see pictures below), then that too needs to be a certain size, and have a means for climbing out with the use of a ladder permanently affixed to the window well, or steps leading out of the well.

Even the operation of the window is very important: Emergency escape and rescue openings shall be operational from the inside of the room without the use of keys or tools.

The best advice I can give you is for you to speak to your village/city Code Enforcement official, or Building Dept person, they can advise you what the code is for your town.

egress windows.jpgegress windows2.jpgegress windows3.jpg

Thanks for posting, please let me know if I can be of any further help.

Posted 2011-02-28T15:06:27+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+