Sign In to join the community | Help
Storage & Organization

How to install slide out drawers/shelves under stairs

I have a closet understairs but I have to stoop to get to the back of it. What I'd like to do is install slide out drawers that come out from the dining room wall. I know first off gonna have to knock out some of the wall but as far as how to go about it I don't really know where to start. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-06T06:24:46+0000  by Astra Astra

Hello Astra and welcome to the community!

Can you please provide us with pictures of the area and please include dimensions so we can get an idea of how big the area is you are describing. The more info & pictures the better. If you check out this link http://bit.ly/18MUU1B, it will show you some pictures of other staircase storage ideas, hopefully if you click on the picture the attached website will offer instructions on how to achieve that look. 

Because there too many variables with creating storage under the stairs, each area is unique, so this is why we need pictures & dimensions for your area. We look forward to your reply. 

Posted 2013-12-26T17:06:27+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI
Now we are getting started on project finally i will post dimensions and pictures later today thanks
Posted 2014-07-26T10:08:38+0000  by Astra
Hi Astra,

In most cases, you'll find that framing boards are located "16-inches on center."

That means you'll have about 15-inches of open space between these boards.

You can simply remove the drywall and use these boards to attach your slides ... which means your drawer width will be approximately 14 1/2-inches.

Or, you can cut these framing boards and add a "header" to carry any load that may exist on this wall.

If you choose the second option, I would consult an engineer to determine how to build the header to handle the load.

Drawer slides come in several lengths ... simply match your length to the available space.

And finally, purchase or build your drawers as well as doors to conceal the drawers.

We'd love to see photos!
Posted 2015-08-25T18:15:11+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+