Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

How to install windows with plaster/cement walls

Our Home is a little over 40 years old.  Windows are very old and some have been replaced with pexi glass simply because

either it is too expensive to replace or too difficult with the plaster/cement type walls and flooring.  Does anyone know how to install newer windows/frames with these types of walls?  Possibly looking at installing ourselves.  We have had a couple different companies give estimates no lower than $10,000 for only 3 walls...7 windows (?).  With wyoming winds, the dust is horrible, summers are terribly hot and winters are incredibly cold.  TIA for any suggestions and help you can give.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-08T02:54:57+0000  by Shell Shell

Hello Shell and welcome to the community!

Home Depot has several options to assist you, but I need some info:

• What kind of windows do you currently have, are they double hung, sliding up and down
  • You mentioned you have added Plexi-Glass in place of regular glass, is there any wood rot with the frame?
  • Can you please post pictures, this would be extremely helpful for us to see what you have to work with. 

Once we know more, then we can offer up suggestions to help you seal up your home with new windows!

Posted 2013-08-08T16:09:31+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Thank you Angelo for your response.

Yes there is window rot but I was wrong on the pexi glass.  It is regular window CHEAP glass.  Hopefully the images will come through for your review.  We bougth the house like this.  The windows are the older crank style which have been sealed shut by previous owner.

East RM.jpgLiving Room.jpgoutside LR full vw.jpgOutsideLR.jpg

Posted 2013-08-10T19:45:46+0000  by Shell

Hi Shell, sorry for the delay. Yes the windows those are "crank out" type called Casement. Depending how handy you are, if you want to tackle this yourself you are going to need the helper to assist with the install.

I strongly recommend you replace the smallest window of the bunch, then you will have a good understanding of what is involved. Then you can proceed to install the rest of the windows if you feel comfortable. Make sure your "helper" has either window install or construction experience, just in case you run into a problem, then you have someone there to assist. 

Below I have included a few install video's to give you an idea of what's involved, it's the same process if either a double hung or casement. When you already have a window in place getting a new one can be a little confusing, and the number one issue I see the customer understanding the difference between Replacement Windows Vs. New Construction. 

Replacement Windows: is a window that is installed into an existing opening. You are able to install the window from inside the home, and most of the existing trim will not need to be disturbed. If your existing opening has water damage or rot, then you will need to go with a New Construction window.

New Construction Windows: is a window that installed from the outside of the home, it has a perimeter nailing flange, needs to be sealed from the outside and trim needs to be applied on the inside. Just because you replacing your old windows with new doesn't mean you have to get Replacement Windows, just be careful how you order. 

How to Install New Construction Windows in Block Type Construction

How to Properly Measure for Energy Efficient Replacement Windows

Posted 2013-08-15T16:34:45+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+