Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

How to join two pieces of plywood

How can you join plywood end to end? Isn't there an aluminum strip that is grooved to permit the plywood to slide into it (from both ends)?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-01-03T16:55:46+0000  by Bopper Bopper
There is H shaped metal channel but I'm not sure I've seen it at a home center.  Might be a online item or you'd have to find a place that caters to the commercial fixture fabrication trade.  Of course, it would need to be sized for the thickness of plywood you are using.

Depending on how thick the plywood is, you could use a biscuit.  Clamping it might be somewhat of a challenge.  You'd also need a pretty accurate biscuit jointer because the thin veneer layer on the plywood doesn't allow much room for sanding out any inaccuracies.

If only one side of the plywood is going to be visible, then just a cleat, glued and screwed across the back of the joint would work too.

Oversize plywood (up to 12' long) is also available but you'll probably need to find a local specialty dealer and expect it to be expensive.
Posted 2016-01-04T12:24:37+0000  by Adam444
Absolutely Bopper,

Simpson Strong Tie Sheathing Clips
are used to join two pieces of sheathing at the edge.

This 20-guage clip is for 3/4-inch sheathing as noted by the stamped 3/4, but they also make clips for other common plywood thickness.

Posted 2016-01-07T16:54:58+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question