Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

How to keep mice and/or rats from crawling underneath your door?

I don't know if I have a mouse or a rat in my house and my doors are pretty high off the floor and I was wondering if there is any kind of stop to put on the bottom of my doors to keep them out. Please help!!!!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-04T04:57:28+0000  by datmanderrick datmanderrick

Hey datmanderrick,

Welcome to the community!

Mice and rats can be a tricky animal to get rid of, especially in a home.

At least for your door, you can start with using a door sweep/stop. These come in various shapes and are sold are your nearest Home Depot in the hardware department.

SlideOn Door Sweep/StopE/O 1-3/4 in. x 36 in. Universal Drip Cap Door BottomE/O 1 in. x 36 in. Brown PVC Door Bottom Replacement for Stanley Steel Doors1-3/4 in. x 36 in. U-Shaped Door Bottom with Drip Cap

Install one that is made of metal instead of vinyl. If the doors are very high, you may have to install an additional wood shim, depending on how high the gap is.

Just placing a stop on the bottom of the door is just the first step to prevent these little guys from coming in.

You'll need to eliminate the reason why they are coming into that space. This can mean searching for food, or even looking for a place to nest. In either case, you'll need to carefully inspect any room where you have seen them. Remember that a crumb can mean to a feast to mice and rats, so cleaning all spaces is key.

I did a post on mice several years ago regarding getting rid of them, click on the image below and find out more information.

mice.JPG

Keep us updated on your situation, and let us know if we can assist you further.

Regards,

Joseph

Posted 2013-05-04T14:52:05+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+