Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

How to make a bed riser out of 4x4

hi can anyone tell me how to make a bed riser out of 4x4 wood? 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-09-29T00:25:31+0000  by lulu7 lulu7

Hi, Lulu7, this is Mike The Home Depot Answer Man

If your bed rests on a frame, the most stable method to make a riser with 4x4 material is to use the goal post method. In other words make your riser look like a goal post.

First determine the height you wish to make your bed.  Let’s say for example, 4 inches.

Cut one piece four inches in length. Then cut two more pieces to five or six inches in length.

Now sandwich the pieces together to look like a goal post, with the short piece in the middle.

You can glue the pieces together with wood glue, or use mending plates and screws,or nails.

Now make three more sets to match the first. The taller pieces on each support keep the frame from sliding off the support.

You now have your risers. Place the risers under the bed frame and your set.

I have included an example below.

Good luck with your project!

Mike.

riser3.jpg

fram risers.JPG

Posted 2011-09-29T18:20:50+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Well its logical as well as methametical issue. Anyhow I agree with above post. He explain it vividly... SO I believe that its clear to you.

Posted 2012-02-10T16:03:06+0000  by joyee
Hi, My daughter is heading to college in the fall and I've been looking for bed risers too. However, I can only find the cheap, plastic ones that I'm afraid they will break. Will your method work for a twin size bed or do we need to make modifications since the four legs should rest on the risers instead of the frames like your picture suggested. Thank you very much, Hang
Posted 2012-07-19T15:55:54+0000  by 10htn60

Hi 10htn60, Thanks for your question.

Yes, this technique will work with any size bed. And if you’re using 4 x 4 lumber you can make it any height you desire.

We also sell on Home Depot.com adjustable bed raiser casters, which will raise the bed and still allow it to be moved for cleaning or changing the linens. Check them out.

Mike,

Posted 2012-07-19T16:44:50+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+