Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

How to make a tray for wallet, keys, and phone?

Hi?

I want to create my own tray for keys, wallet, and phone. Basically, I'd like to use that tray as a way to remind of things that I'd carry on myself.
My initial thought is a wooden tray, preferably dark brown or black with glossy finish.
My question is how to make a such product and what are the materials?

Please, help me with links, videos or anything.

I just want to make something on my own.

Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-05T07:30:59+0000  by Bibby Bibby

Hello Bibby and welcome to the community!

What you are looking for is Dresser Valet, this will hold the things you mentioned and whatever else you have in your pocket. If you have some woodworking tools like a table saw, then your ready to build something awesome!

I have two suggestions, one valet is made using thin boards, like 1/2" & 1/4" oak or poplar, depending if you want to stain or paint it, or maybe wrap it in some Naugahyde or Leather fabric that you can find at a fabric store. For example, you would use wood off the shelf 1/4 x 6 x 4 Red Oak Board available from your Home Depot, they may carry a variety of wood species and dimensions for you to decide how sturdy & how big you want to make it, I'm guessing not larger than 1/2" thick would suffice. The corners could be attached using Corner Braces, or if you really want the edge to stand out and you have the tools, you could attach the corners creating a Box Joint using a Jig and a router, check out this video from Porter-Cable and Norm Abram. You can also create the Box Joint using just a standard table saw if you don't want to invest in a special jointing jig, just search here.

Or, here is a video from one of our vendors, Skil Power Tools, watch them as they show you how to build a Dresser Valet out of pine. Either way you decide to go, take pictures of your project and post it here, we would love to see what you have made!

Posted 2013-08-08T14:45:16+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+