Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

How to make my pepper plant as hot as possible

I live in the Chicago area and i just recently purchased a dragon cayenne pepper plant. Im looking to make these as hot as possible but not sure how??

TIA
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-05-17T22:09:12+0000  by Fishyjoe Fishyjoe

Besides choosing a hot variety, the only other thing that affects the hotness of a pepper is the weather. 
Hot peppers tend to be hotter in a warmer growing season.
Posted 2016-05-18T13:01:46+0000  by JefferyT
Howdy Fishjoe,

Most people grow hot peppers to add flavor and "zing" to their food and it sounds like you are wanting that as well. One tip on how to grow hotter peppers is to not over water the peppers. While depriving the plants a drink only when the leaves start looking a bit droopy. This works best when the plant is just setting fruit.

Nitrogen is a nutrient that helps the plant grow big and strong quickly. Too much nitrogen makes peppers tame. The best way to fertilize a pepper plant in a way that will bring more fruit is to use a slower and gentler type of fertilizer such as rotted manure or compost.

Since peppers are closely related to each other, they can cross pollinate. This means that a hot pepper can cross pollinate with a sweet pepper. The result is a fruit that’s not as hot as you might want. Make sure that different types of peppers are grown a good distance from each other.

Last but certainly not least, the longer a hot pepper ages, the spicier they become.

Happy Gardening,
Coach Dave
Posted 2016-05-19T17:50:25+0000  by Dave_HD_OC
Hi Fishyjoe,

I grow peppers every year in my garden. Ghost, habanero, jalapeno, bell and poblano to name a few. None of my peppers have ever been affected by cross pollination.

Cross pollination will affect some of the seeds that a pepper plant produces, so the next generation could produce some hot peppers, but not this year's crop. This years crop will not be affected.

Capsaicin is not located in the seeds. It is in the inner membrane and ribs that support the seeds.

I concur with JefferyT, select a hot variety of pepper and allow it to fully mature on the vine.

Read more on this subject here.

Thank you for visiting our Community!

-Travis

Posted 2016-05-20T14:06:19+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+