Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

How to measure for storm windows

I would like to replace my old mill finish storm windows with white ones. Knowing that these windows have been here for 30 years, I don't know if I can use the same sizes. Need to know how to  to measure for them.  Thanks

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-06T12:46:12+0000  by ecmccue ecmccue

Hi ecmcccue,

You should be able to get the same sizes.

Your best bet would be to measure them from the outside - from flange to flange.

This way replacement will match the existing ones and you don’t have to worry about having to paint or fix things on the outside.

If you don’t feel confident going up on a ladder, then you can measure from the inside too.

There is two ways storm windows can be installed:

Blind stop- which if from the inside of the brickmold moulding to the inside of the brickmold moulding.

If this is what you have than measure from the inside of the window frame to the inside of the window frame.

Or overlap – with overlap storm windows are installed to where they overlap the moulding that’s on the outside of the window.With this one you want to measure from inside of the brickmold to the inside of the brickmold moulding.

It would be also super helpful if you were to snap a picture from the outside so that an associate who’s placing an order can see the installation method himself.

Hope this helps and please do not hesitate to post back with any additional questions you may have.

George

Posted 2013-04-08T16:06:06+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+