Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

How to mount a coat rack to my wall?

I am trying to mount a coat rack with cubby holes for hats to the wall located at the entrance to my home. Apparently when I drive the screws through the dry wall there is nothing there to keep them secure. What should I do?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-02T14:19:23+0000  by ljones2393 ljones2393

Hi Ijones2393,

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community. 

When mounting your coat rack to the wall, it will be very important  that  your mounting screws be well anchored or they may pull out of the wall when any load is applied to the hangers or shelves.  The best spot is into one of the studs. If the studs are not in the correct position, you will  need to use use Drywall Anchors.  Check with your local Home Depot Hardware Department for additional information.

The type of Drywall anchor you will need will be determined on how heavy of a load the coat rack will have.  If your drywall anchor is too small, the whole coat rack will pull out of the wall.  It is better to overestimate the weight rather than to underestimate the weight.  I had this happen to me when I put a coat rack up I my hallway.  Too many coats or to many heavy coats and…,crash, everything was on the floor!

Here are a few examples of appropriate drywall anchors that will help to hold a heavier load:

Toggle bolt 1-4 zinc.jpgDrywall Anchor-Ribbed.jpgDrywall Anchor-Winglts.jpgDrywall Anchor-Winglts2.jpg

All anchors will need to have the appropriate size hole pre-drilled before the anchor can be installed.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Posted 2013-09-03T18:57:35+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+