Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

How to mount house numbers on a steel entry door?

I need instructions on mounting my house numbers on my steel entry front door. I don't want to drill pilot holes and/ or drive screws into the door and then they just fall out. Then, I am left repairing those holes in my door. That may be all I need to do. However, I just wanted someone with more knowledge on the subject to confirm this before I messed up. I bought the house numbers from Home Depot and the instructions on the back of the package say to drill 1/2" deep pilot holes. Then, secure the number with provided screws. I'm sure this is intended for mounting into the house itself and there is no mention of whether the instructions would be the same if mounting in to the door or whether the type of door matters. Maybe, someone knows if they sell magnetic house numbers. This would solve my dilemma! Thanks for any input!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-28T20:42:22+0000  by lmfergy96 lmfergy96

There's no reason you can't screw the numbers to your front door.  Most steel doors have a relatively thin skin of steel over a foam core.  So once you get past the steel, there's no reason to drill any deeper.  The size of pilot hole needed for sheet steel varies based on the diameter of the screw and the thickness of the steel.

Another option might be two sided tape.  There is tape intended for automotive applications, like holding body mouldings in place.  I don't know if Home Depot sells it but an auto parts store would.  You'll probably have to do some trimming to get it to fit your numbers.  Make sure the surfaces are very clean for good adhesion.

Posted 2014-01-28T20:56:42+0000  by Adam444

Hi Imfergy96,

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.  We are glad that you are here.

Scotch makes a great exterior mounting tape that will work well for mounting the numbers on your steel door.  As long as both surfaces are clean and smooth, the mounting tape should work very well for you.

If there is an indentation on the back of the numbers, you may need to cut some narrow strips of the mounting tape to fill that gap.   After that, it is just a matter of applying the double sided tape and pressing it against the clean & smooth surface of your metal door.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Posted 2014-01-28T21:35:21+0000  by Rick_HD_OC
Thanks Rick! That sounds great!
Posted 2014-01-28T22:45:11+0000  by lmfergy96

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+