Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

How to prep and paint cinder block house?

My home was built in the 1950's and then an addition in 1970's. The last time it was painted was in the 1970's and it was not cleaned before it was painted. I have scraped off what I can and powerwashed it with plain water. Now what do I need to do? DO I need to seal it? Humidity is high in my house and the house is part crawl space part slab. I feel lost. Any help would be appreciated. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-02T22:08:22+0000  by magnoliamoon11 magnoliamoon11

Outstanding Question magnoliamoon11!

I like the steps you've already taken ... scrap off flake and clean.

I would usually recommend a cleaning agent containing bleach, simply to be certain I didn't paint over live mildew or mold.

Mold Armor House Wash is a simple hose-end product that sprays on and rinses off with the hose ten-minutes later.

Paintable caulk or mortar repair would help seal any exposed cracks.

And, if you had water seeping through the wall, hydraulic cement should be used to stop that flow before painting.

After prep, Behr Masonry, Stucco and Brick paint is a self-priming option specifically for your surface.

You could also use Behr Ultra or Behr Marquee ... both self-priming and rated for exterior surfaces.

Even if you are painting the same color, I would recommend two coats to build a long lasting coating.

NOTE:

Ask your Paint Associate to help you review color selections.

Posted 2013-09-03T14:26:32+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Thanks for your help.

Have a groovy day :)

Posted 2013-09-03T15:34:04+0000  by magnoliamoon11

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+