Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

How to prep hard wood flooring for sanding?

How do I prep my bedroom hard wood floor for sanding?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-02-02T16:22:08+0000  by Sbyrd Sbyrd

Hey Sbyrd. 

There are a few things that you will need to do after you get the room empty.

Once everything is out of the room, you will need to pull up the quarter round molding from the perimeter of the room. This will allow you to get closer to the walls with the sander. 

Go around the perimeter, making sure there are no remaining nails from the quarter round hanging out of the floor, as these can destroy your sandpaper and mess up the sander as well.

You will need to sweep the floors thoroughly to insure that there is no grit to gouge the floors. 

Get a slightly damp mop and run over the floors with it to get and remaining dirt. Give floors time to become completely dry.

When you are getting ready to sand be sure to be wearing a dust mask and open a window if possible, as it will be getting dusty in there and some air circulation would help. Shut the door to the bedroom to keep dust out of the rest of the house and maybe turn off the heat pump to prevent putting all the dust through the air return vents, clogging your air filter.

Always sand with the grain of the wood and never against it. The Home Depot rents floor sanders and all the materials you need for this project.

drum sander.JPGedge sander.JPG

In no time at all, your floors will look great and they will just needing refinishing.

Swing by the paint department and talk to my professionals there for some options for refinishing this floor to make it look brand new. If there is any other questions, feel free to hit me up here. Thanks.

Posted 2014-02-02T19:37:48+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+