Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

How to protect cactus from freezing and frost?

Hi, Garden Club!

Here's a question from Lana, who is wondering how to protect cactus from freezing. She posted this on a post about Home Depot's Certified Nursery Consultants

"How do I protect my outside cactus that are both in the ground and in pots from freezing? Some of these cactus include mexican fence post, recently transplanted saguaros (past 6 months), agave, and barrel cactus. I have many, so i am looking for the best protection at a cost I can afford.

"Do you have a couple different suggestions that might be helpful to me?

"Thank you."

It sounds like Lana has invested quite a bit of time and care in setting up a catcus garden. How can she keep her plants safe from frost and freezing?

And you don't have to be "prickly" about money not to want to get "stuck" spending a lot of "scratch" on it. A "spike" in her finances could "puncture" her enjoyment of her cati. So, affordable solutions would drive the "point" home.

(Sorry.) 

Thanks, gardening experts.

-Craig, from the Home Depot Blog

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-12-10T16:07:51+0000  by HomeDepotCraig HomeDepotCraig

Hi Lana,

I'm Grow2Girl, from The Home Depot.  A couple of ways to protect you cactus it to cover them with freeze cloth, burlap or a plant protector.

Freeze Cloth.jpgBurlap.jpgPlant Protector.jpg

Freeze Cloth                                                 Burlap                                                   Plant Protector

It is important however to know where you live and how low the temperatures will go in the winter, based on your zone.  Cactus will not survive, even if covered, in cold parts of the country.

Posted 2012-12-11T16:41:35+0000  by Jen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+