Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

How to put on a new roof

I just put up a patio 15ft x 14 Ft connected to my house, it has a low pitch that comes down to a triangle about 5ft out from the end.  I am wanting to cover my patio with all the necessary equipment needed with shingles. 

what materials am I going to need to complete this job and what is the best way on doing it. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-03-20T01:04:35+0000  by michael0718 michael0718

Hi, and welcome to the community.

Any roofing project is a challanging project. The key is to be safe and do anything alone. Let's tackle this one together.

When measuring for materials take the length times width and add 10%. If you divide that number by 100 you will get the total number of squares needed to cover the roof (1 square = 100 sq/ft).  This will also help you figure out how much roofing felt you will need as well. The moisture membrane will only be installed at the bottom part of the roof (to prevent any water damage). The nails used will usually be around 2 pounds per square of shingles (use galvanized to prevent rusting).

Materials needed:

• Roofing felt
  • Moisture block membrane
  • Roofing nails
  • Shingles
  • Chalk line
  • Work gloves
  • Knee pads
  • Ladder
  • Hammer
  • Cutting knife

After installing the roofing felt, the moisture membrane and flashing begin installing the shingles:

1. Install the “starter course” (cut in half) at the lower left-hand corner of the roof. Overlap about a ½ inch at the roof edge.
  2. Install the first row of shingles at the lower left-hand corner. Start by laying the first shingle and then snap a chalk at the top all across to the other side. This is where you will install the rest of the row.
  3. Overhang the next row off the roof edge by 6 inches (you will trim the edge when finished). Line up the bottom of the shingles with the top of the first rows tabs.
  4. Continue this process until you reach the peak.
  5. Trim off the shingles with a ½ inch overhang.
  6. Repeat this process on the other side and overlap the shingles at the peak.

Here is a diagram from a roofing material manufacturer’s site that is the best illustration for walking you through the installation process.

am2.jpg

Posted 2011-03-20T15:21:55+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL
How do I figure out how many packs of roof shingles are needed for 1,314sq ft is needed and how much underlayment is needed?
Posted 2012-05-03T17:44:22+0000  by buehler740

Hello buehler740.  Welcome to the Community!

As PaintPro mentions, add 10% to your calculated square footage and divide by 100 to get the number of squares.

+131

Round this UP to 1500.  This equals 15 squares.  Roofing coverage is estimated in squares.

How many packs of roof shingles?

It depends on the kind of shingles you buy.  Weight becomes an issue.

Shingles3.jpg

Standard bundles of shingles that carry a 20-25 year warranty are usually 3 bundles per square.

Higher end 25-30+ year shingles often, (but not always), weigh more and thus cover less per bundle.  These can require 4 bundles per square.  Pick the shingles you want and then calculate how many bundles you will need for 15 squares.

The same idea works for underlayment.

Standard rolls of 15 # roofing felt cover just over 4 squares each.

30# felt weighs twice as much as 15#.  The rolls weigh the same, but 30# felt rolls only cover about 2 squares each.

Felt.JPG

Ice and water dam underlayment will state on the box how many square feet it covers.  Generally you only need this to run across the roof under the starter course at the gutter/drip edge.  It is optional but sometimes used in valleys, as waterproofing for ridge venting, or as flashing material.  You would buy this based on running feet rather than square feet.

I hope this helps,

Newf.

Posted 2012-05-04T14:57:58+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+