Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

How to reduce separation of paver stones

My patio stones are showing separation. I was told at one point that sweeping sand in between would help tighten this up??? Is this true? What kind of sand? Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-15T13:44:19+0000  by JimDi42 JimDi42

Hey JimDi42,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

You are correct in what you heard; using sand by forcing it in the joints will reduce the amount of shifting for your paver stones.

In fact, there is a sand specially made for not only laying down pavers, but also for your paver joints. Click on the image below to read about this product.

48 lb. Leveling Sand

You were also correct in using a broom to sweep the paver sand in between the joints. Do this with a wide angled stiff broom to get the job done.

If these pavers are in an area that experiences lots of rainfall and the area is sloped, I would consider reapplying the sand periodically to ensure they are being held in place.

And that's all there is to reduce the separation of your stones!

Let us know if this has assisted you, and come back if you have any addtional questions.

Cheers,

Joseph

Posted 2013-05-15T13:56:07+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Thank you for the information and responding so quickly.

Posted 2013-05-15T14:01:56+0000  by JimDi42

You are very welcome.

One last thing, this sand can be found at your nearest Home Depot in the outdoor Gardening department next to the pavers.

And as always, let us know if you have any further questions regarding any home improvement project you have.

Cheers,

Joseph

Posted 2013-05-15T14:05:26+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+