Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

How to remodel a TV nook?

I'm looking to buy my first home.  I've found one that I like, but I absolutely hate the tv nook (I think that's what it is) and mirrored doors.  The doors shouldn't be too hard of a fix, but I'm not sure how to get rid of the nook.  I'd like to remodel instead of just cover it or repurpose.  

Any ideas on where to start?  

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-10-21T20:53:26+0000  by buyingahomeishard buyingahomeishard

I would guess it was built in the days before flat screen televisions with 16:9 aspect ratios.  I'd say they put a small TV in the bottom and maybe books or knickknacks above.  Without dimensions it's a little hard to say for sure but I'm guessing you're not going to get a very large TV in there.  Maybe you don't need/want one.

I'm wondering if you added doors to the front of that...???
Posted 2016-10-22T01:05:23+0000  by Adam444

Hello buyingahomeishard and welcome to the Community.

This falls under the category of demolition.  You should make a plan for how you are going to uses this space and how you will accomplish that.

Removing the TV nook would be like a reverse of the installation.  Imagine how it was assembled and remove the materials in the order of, last on first off.

First would be to protect yourself with eye protection, gloves and a dust mask. Next, would be to protect the area, especially the floors, with drop cloths. 

Some tools that you would need are a pry bar, hammer or mallet, and a reciprocating saw would be handy also.

Since you are not planning on using the components of this nook you don’t have to worry about damaging it. You will have to check for electrical and plumbing in the structure.  If these utilities are present take the proper precautions to insure you don’t damage the plumbing and shut of the power to any outlets or light fixtures.

Remodeling is the joy of home ownership.

Have fun.

Charlotte

Posted 2016-10-25T14:57:30+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Greetings buyingahomeishard,

Char is right, it is a demo job if you do not want to re-purpose the space. you are right, the doors are simple fix, just switching the doors will transform the space!

TRUporte Grand 60 in. x 80 in. 2030 Series Composite White 3-Lite Tempered Frosted Glass Sliding Door

Can I ask how will you be using the room? Is it a den, office, living room or bedroom? Determining that may help with some suggestions for nook transformation, thank you for the image that really helps too!  
Posted 2016-10-25T17:21:55+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS
Hi there buyingahomeishard!

Not knowing the overall width of the area, (both mirrored doors & nook) I too would demo and consider going with a triple track sliding door system. Loosing the current TV nook it's not a big deal since you have much more wall space on the opposite side of those mirrored doors. It really depends on your furniture and TV size.

Angelo
Posted 2016-10-27T13:24:18+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+