Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

How to replace interior blinds similar to this...

I've got these (cheap-feeling) plastic/fiberboard interior blinds, but they're being destroyed by my young kids.

I have no idea where to start with this; what are my options for replacement? Is it possible to replace just the blinds and keep the doors (which are fine)? If so, what am I looking for, or what do I search for?

Elsewhere in my house, I have these types of interior blinds, which I love (they always look great and are strong and resisting my children's best efforts to destroy them)...what are these called and are they easily installed in the windows in my top two pictures?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-06-16T03:20:03+0000  by ddas ddas

Hello ddas and welcome to the Community.

Thanks for sending the picture of your interior shutters, but unfortunately I could not determine the extent of your damage.  These shutters are a specialty product.   If possible find who the manufacture is.  If it is a product that Home Depot handles visit the Décor department and they can possibly set up a service call to repair them.  The specialist in the Décor department can also discuss your option as to if the insert can be replace without replacing the entire door.  Come prepared with measurements of both the louver insert panel and the door.   Also measure the size of the individual louver.

 If you cannot find the manufacturer you may need to find a handy man that does wood work to repair them.

If I can be of more assistance please let me know. 



I am a Home Depot associate trained and authorized to help people on the internet.

Posted 2014-06-17T15:52:32+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Thanks a lot Charlotte!

I did examine these existing blinds carefully, found a brand name on them, researched the brand name, and found that they are out of business. I did what I could to fix them up using various combinations of glue, tiny nails, etc. but they're just not well constructed and are falling apart every time my kids brush by them. I think I need to replace them entirely with something more durable (like something in the 3rd photo above).

Perhaps I'll take a visit to the Decor department -- thanks for that recommendation. I was just hoping to be able to do some research at home and look at photos of what some options might be, but I have no idea where to start.
Posted 2014-06-17T16:20:39+0000  by ddas

Hi again ddas;

There are many chooses when it comes to window accessories, size, styles, color, materials.  It appears to me that you have some faux wood shutters with about 2-1/2” louvers.  With all these variable it is hard to find exactly what you are looking for on line, but in the store they can be made to the exact size, color and style you need.  Call ahead and make sure a Décor specialist will be available.  Often during the week in the morning is a good time to visit.

Thanks for your response and happy shopping.


Posted 2014-06-17T18:36:08+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Thanks a lot Charlotte, I appreciate it.
Posted 2014-06-17T22:13:16+0000  by ddas
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question