Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

How to replace rusted shower door magnet?

I have a frame-less glass shower and the magnet in the door handle has rusted. The strike plate seems fine. How do I go about replacing the magnet? Does the entire door handle need to be replaced? Lastly, does the door need to be removed in order fix the issue? Below is what the rusted magnet and handle look like. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-04-22T22:36:24+0000  by GCheung55 GCheung55

Greetings GCheung55,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Home Depot Community!

That is a very rusty shower door catch! Have you tried to clean the rust off yet? I know you would like to replace it, but trying to clean away the corrosion may help the magnetic catch work better. Watch the video on The Must For Rust, Krud Kutter Rust Cleaner Inhibitor page; that stuff is amazing! Think about trying the Krud Kutter product before replacing the pull.

How is the strike plate side of the shower door: is that rusted as well? I believe that is where the magnet is, cleaning that surface will help the closer too.

Are you able to see any screws on the handle? Home Depot offers many pulls and latches for shower doors; check out this link to see if your exact handle is available.

Replacing the handle should not require taking off the entire door, just be sure to secure and stabilize the door before starting any work on it.

I hope this helps a bit, thanks for such a great, detailed picture! If you do decide to try the "Must for Rust" cleaner, we would love to see another photo, actually whatever route you take an additional photo would be great!

All the best,

Maureen

Posted 2018-04-25T13:56:35+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+