Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

How to speed up drying time of Martha Living Metallic

Hi,

I have a 20 square foot area that I will apply Martha Living Metallic on (2 coats).

Can I speed up the recommended 24 hour recoat dry time  to recoat in same day? Ex: use a hair dryer.

Why is there such a long recoat time? Will the coating not adhere properly or will it react with first coat?

Thank you.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-11-28T16:36:50+0000  by inoclocks inoclocks

inoclocks,

The confusion is between "drying" and "curing". Most water based paint products will be dry to the touch in an hour or more , but the cure time is significantly greater. A full cure of an acrylic based product can take up to a month.

Warm, non-humid conditions certainly shorten the cure time, but it would be unwise to significantly reduce that time. Re-coating too quickly can pressnt such problems as streaking and even adhesion, especially when painting over a higher sheen paint.

If all else fails, follow the directions!  :)  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. How many times during my contracting days did I hedge a bit on the instructions  and then had to suffer the consequences! :(

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2012-11-28T17:38:17+0000  by ordjen

Thanks ordjen,

My poster board samples where re-coated in a matter of hours. No problem there. However, I hear your advice, based on experience. Thank you. If others on this forum have had success or failure due to re-coating in less than manufacturers recommendations (24 hours), please share.

Posted 2012-11-28T20:38:59+0000  by inoclocks

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+