Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

How to transition from knotty pine walls to painted walls on a shared corner.

We're starting a remodel on our 1970's home. We want to put knotty pine paneling in our dining room & simply poly it so it's a nice light color. We also plan on painting our laundry room walls a sage green color. The problem is that you enter the LR through a doorway off the DR and the 2 rooms share corners where they meet. I've seen knotty pine rooms and they all have plain, pine molding at the floor & ceiling level. Most painted rooms have white or painted molding in those places. Since the rooms share common corners where they meet, you would be looking at 2 different types & colors of molding at the corners. Would pine molding work on sage green walls in order to make the molding match? Is there another option I haven't thought of?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-04-20T19:59:10+0000  by scotpiper scotpiper

Hello scotpiper,

You have several options.  First of all, base, casing and crown molding are available in both white and clear pine.  Several different styles of profiles are also available in white and clear pine.  So if you want to miter the corners at the transition walls you could have matching profiles in the white and pine meeting at that point.

Colonial style base                                                                     Ranch style base

In my opinion I think the pine would look nice on the sage green walls.  I actually have oak trim that matches my hardwood floor with mist green walls.  (Although it has been said the only taste I have is in my mouth-just kidding).

If after you install it you want to change your mind you could always paint it. 

The examples I have included from online are for specific lengths but Home Depot Stores carry a large variety of trim, sold by the lineal foot for you to choose from.

I would love to see pictures of your finished product, if you would like to post them.

Charlotte

Posted 2015-04-21T17:02:20+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Hi scotpiper,

Blended transitions are much more common than you realize.

If you look, you'll find wood and white trim commonly installed over each other at transitions.

Here is a great visual example:
ArchetecturalDesigns.com
DIYer's often get lost thinking in one plane only.

We forget that trim can create dimensional contrast that distinguishes one room from the other visually ... and also appears quite natural.

So, go ahead, think about dimensional layers more than just color in your transition.

And be as creative as you like!

NOTE:
If you need more visual transition, consider using wainscoting similar to the image above.

It will help you build an even stronger visual transition.
Posted 2015-04-23T22:23:40+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+