Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

How to trim doors

What power tools do i need to use to cut the side and bottom of the door? I tried using a circular saw but its kinda hard. Any tips from the expert how to cut it straight and clean?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-09T20:32:41+0000  by vin888 vin888

Hello vin888 and welcome to the community!

I work in the doors & windows department and I get this question very often. Doors are best cut with a new circular blade similar to the one below. The should be at least 40 teeth per inch, the one below has 60 teeth! Why so many teeth you ask, well more teeth you have the smoother the cut and less chance for the wood to splinter. If you use an old blade and you are not sure of it's sharpness, you are asking trouble. 

When prepping the area to be cut, use a metal straight edge (like a level) clamped it down, and run your circular edge against that metal as a guide for a straight cut. Before cutting, put down a continuous strip of masking tape to further assist in a clean cut, and apply the tape to both sides--this prevents tear-out. 

Also remember to finish all SIX sides of the door, either a coats of paint or polyurethane over stain is perfect. 

Diablo 7-1/4 in. x 60 Tooth Carbide Circular Saw Blade

Posted 2013-05-17T20:01:44+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+