Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

How would I install a storm door?

It looks like the existing frame of my front door is too shallow to install a standard storm door - the door knobs would hit. Can I build out the frame without it looking weird? And how do I do that in a way that would support the new door so that it won't sag over time? Thank you!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-04-14T11:46:00+0000  by SpclK SpclK

Hello SpcIK and welcome to the Community.

Building out the frame is the best way to compensate for the door knobs infringing on each other if you have enough room.

If you already have brick moulding, you may want to remove it, install an extending jamb kit and then reinstall the brick mold. Exterior Door Jamb Extension Kit contains a header, 2 legs and a sill extender. It is designed to expand your door jamb opening. Wood parts come primed and ready to paint.  Here is an instruction guide for the extension jambs.

The most common type of exterior trim used around doors is Brick moulding.  Brick moulding is available in several materials, most commonly is pine primed finger-joint but also PVC and vinyl.  A standard size of brick moulding is 1-1/4 x 2”, which if installed correctly will provide enough support to hold a storm door.

Without knowing all the details about your situation, what kind of siding material (brick, vinyl, fiber-cement, wood etc.) you have and how your entry door is installed it is difficult to give a precise answer as to what is the correct approach.  If you would like to post a photo or give more details, it would be very helpful.   

Here is a video describing how to install a storm door.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2016-04-14T15:45:53+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+