Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

How would I suspend a mirror from the ceiling instead of mounting it to a wall?

I have an 20" x 28" x 1" oval shaped mirror that weighs about 5 lbs.   It has two metal loops on the back so that you can hang it on the wall but I want to have it hang from the ceiling instead.  How can I do this and what kind of hardware will I need?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-02-23T16:19:39+0000  by ddoll ddoll

Hey ddoll,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

Luckily your mirror isn't too heavy and large in size, but you'll still need to fasten it safely since you are working against gravity.

Almost all fastening systems I have ever seen, they are almost always meant for wall hanging.

While you could have a large, panhead-type screw going into the ceiling and the mirror (by the head 'clipping' the mirror), an adhesive would be much safer and secure. Even if you are renting, we carry several adhesives made for mirrors, like the one shown below.

Adhering it would not only be safer but it would also give you a guaranteed flat installation. The adhesive has a slow drying time, so I would strongly suggest to tape the corners up for at least several hours to ensure the adhesive has cured completely.

You may have to remove the existing metal loops on the back to ensure the mirror fastens if you choose this route.

Therefore, if you still wanted to hang it, you could use lag screws with eyes -->these would fasten directly into the ceiling and you can use chain -->Photobucket alongside  hooks to connect the metal loops on your mirror to the eye screws in the ceiling.

Just make sure the hooks you use are closed or can be fastened in a way that they can't come undone and crash downwards. If you do the chains and screws with eyes, you wouldn't get a flush mounted mirror like the adhesive option.

As stated above, you have the adhesive or chain and hook option to safely hang your mirror up, it would be up to you in how you'd choose to do it.

Hope this has assisted you, and let us know if you have any further questions regarding your project.

Posted 2013-02-23T17:17:48+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Look at this company's products they have lots of different solutions: http://www.griplocksystems.com/

Posted 2013-06-18T15:25:11+0000  by weshallseeii

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+