Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

How would one remove a very large mirror mounted above a fireplace? I am guessing it was glued.

I would like to take it down in one piece if possible. I was thinking of trying a heat gun to see if that might loosen one end at a time. It is approx. three feet wide and two feet high. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-11-14T01:41:19+0000  by drewinsalem drewinsalem

drewinsalem,

Mirror glass is actually a lot stronger than you think. It can be pried off the wall using a stiff putty knife or thin pry bar. However, you must take measures to protect yourself just in case it breaks.

Crisscross the mirror with duct tape. This will insure that large dangerous glass shards don't come down and slash you.Wear gloves and a heavy shirt or jacket .Also wear safety glasses.

Start from an upper corner about a foot from the corner. Insert the putty knife under the mirror and begin slowly prying outward. When it begins to move, move the knife further down along the edge and repeat the procedure all around the mirror.

Over the years, I have removed many mirrors without even cracking them.

Let me anticipate your next question, "How do I remove the black mastic left on the wall?" If the wall is drywall, simply take a utility knife and cut around the mastic, cutting through the outer white drywall paper. Now peel back the white paper, revealing the pulpy brown drywall paper underneath. This brown paper must be sealed with a non-water soluble primer such as CoverStain. Your patching spackle or drywall mud contains water. If you don't seal the paper first, it will probably wrinkle up. Once the patch has been sanded, spot prime it and then  paint your wall.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-11-14T02:40:28+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+