Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

I am concerned about growing Hostas in the desert southwest (Arizona) do they grow well here?

My sister lives in New Jersey and has about 20 varieties of Hostas. I would love to grow some but do not do well here near Tucson with large leaved plants and our several months of under 20% humidity. Has anyone had luck with them here?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-03-25T17:11:01+0000  by Kacie Kacie

Howdy Kacie,

Allow me to welcome you to the Home Depot community where we exchange ideas, information, and all things related to your home. So let’s now address your question about growing Hostas in Arizona.

Hostas are a very adaptable perennial that do well inHardiness Zones; 3 (-40&degF minimum) to zone 9 (20&degF minimum). Hostas need a period of cold weather, at the onset of which they turn yellow and then go dormant. Insufficient winter chill and dry air, such as in western deserts, are the reason you don’t see much in your area.

Some Hostas are native to woodlands and others grow in moist meadows where tall grasses provide some shade. In the garden, one-third shade is ideal. If there is enough moisture, most hostas can take direct sun, especially in cooler climates. When hostas get too much sun or not enough water, the leaf edges become papery and brown. At the southern edge of their range, more shade will make them happier.

In addition to the natural winter dormancy cycle, hostas can go into partial dormancy during spells of hot weather. Particularly susceptible varieties have their origins in the species Hosta sieboldiana and Hosta "Tokudama." In prolonged periods of temperatures above 90 F, leaves droop and growth slows. The leaves may have tip burn as well, depending on soil moisture. A long, hot, dry summer can result in crown rot, severely reducing the size of the surviving plant the following spring. They do best in an area covered by trees or on the north side of a home.

Happy Gardening,

Coach Dave

Posted 2015-03-26T19:50:22+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+