Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

I bought a few bear-root roses and a few small flowering perennials

I bought a few bear-root roses and a few small flowering perennials and I my USA zone is 6 in the western part of Pennsylvania where the last frost is around may, My friend place them outside until we can plant that in may, can we store them in pots outside? right now we get temps in the 30s and the past few day its been in the low 30s and it feels like in the 20s, I am asking this beacuse my friend put them outside for almost two days where the temp was in the low 20s and now the plants go look so good:( can I save them?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-04-08T17:09:58+0000  by Prince_Of_GardenHD02 Prince_Of_GardenHD02

Howdy Prince_Of_Garden02,

Some plants can survive freezing temperatures for months while others can only handle temperatures of 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

I would recommend you bringing the damaged plants inside home or at least a garage. Place the plant where it will not get direct sunlight for about 48 hours.

Next you would need to water the plant immediately. Remember to not fertilize the plant because the plant is already stressed trying to recover from the frost damage.

When the plants have been indoors for several weeks you would want to trim off the dead leaves and branches. 

Lastly, when the plant shows signs of new growth, use a water soluble rose fertilizer to assist in recovery of the plants.

Happy Growing,
Coach Dave

Posted 2018-04-10T00:35:39+0000  by Dave_HD_OC
Greetings Prince_Of _Garden02,

Dave is so right about the small plants. 

Were the bare root roses outside when you bought them? Bringing them indoors will break the dormancy of the plant. I would shelter or wrap the roots of the rose and leave them outside. The canes of the roses have been dipped in wax as a anti-desiccant, to preserve moisture in the canes and protect them from winter wind that can be drying and damaging to the rose. 

If you have already introduce the roses to the warmth of your home, keep them in. to place them outside after the dormancy has been broken and new shoots appear can be fatal to the plant.

Once it is time to plant the bare root rose, make sure to soak the roots over night in a bucket of water. The soaking will better assist the roots to take hold once planted.

I hope this helps, and I hope the weather warms up for all of us and our planting dreams! 

Happy spring, 
Maureen   
Posted 2018-04-10T19:44:37+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+