Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

I can't get the house warmer than 55 deg and I can feel cold air drafts everywhere

How can I fix gaps between floors and walls, especially behind kitchen cabinets?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-29T16:03:00+0000  by marthabill marthabill

Hi there marthabill,

I’m Jen, from The Home Depot.  I’m sorry to hear that you are facing this battle in the cold.  Much of our country is suffering from extreme temperatures such as you.    It sounds like your home is lacking proper insulation, especially behind the kitchen cabinets.  Long term, you should seek help with insulating your home better and permanently sealing the cracks.  We have associates at our prodesk that can guide you through the process and let you know if you can use blown in insulation.  This is something that can be done yourself and they can walk you through it.

GREAT STUFF.jpg

Some short term options are:

• Sealing the basement or crawlspace.  You mentioned the floors are cold, if you see cracks below the floors or in the basement; you can seal it with GREAT STUFF.  It is a spray that is very easy to use and will help you temporarily.  The down side is that it is messy and undesirable looking, so I suggest only using it where it cannot be seen.
  • Sealing behind your cupboards.  Can you see cracks?  Perhaps this is an area where you can use GREAT STUFF also.  Or even use weather stripping.
  • Doors and Windows- Seal anything that you think that might be drafty.   A co-worker of mine wrote this article that will provide you with the necessary information for each products benefit.  All of these fixes mentioned above are easy, quick and cost efficient however they are not long term.
  • Space heater- Once you have tried to seal in the heat from escaping, you may need to add supplemental heating to get you through the cold snap.

Feel free to check in with a Hardware associate at your local store.  They may have other products specifically carried in your state that can help you through this time.  Best wishes to you and your family to stay warm and safe.

Posted 2014-01-29T16:35:11+0000  by Jen_HD_BOS

Hi Jen, thank you for your reply. We tried Great Stuff behind the kitchen cabinets, but we can still feel the draft. We also put plastic all around our windows. I uess we have a bigger problem.

Posted 2014-01-29T17:43:01+0000  by marthabill

If you have a dishwasher or range on the same wall as the cabinets, you might be able to pull them out and add insulation behind the cabinets.  Otherwise you may have to come from the outside of the house.

Posted 2014-01-29T17:50:46+0000  by Jen_HD_BOS

We also used Great Stuff on the outside. I'm afraid this is something the inspector missed when we bought the house.  Thanks for your help.

Posted 2014-01-29T17:59:27+0000  by marthabill

Hey marthabill,

I just wanted to add to what has already been said. I'd strongly recommend to inspect and see any gaps outside as well as installing insulation where you can to reduce the coldness in your home.

You can click on the image below for more information.

Insulation

Whether or not you can get access to the floor spaces, walls and ceilings.....installing as much insulation as possible will greatly assist in warming up your home during these cold months of the year.

Regards,

Joseph

Posted 2014-02-01T20:44:09+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+