Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

I don't know what I'm doing...

I'm a college student and I don't have any experience with home repair stuff....but what I have in mind should be incredibly simple, I just need some help with suggestions for materials I need. I want to turn a hall closet into a temporary storage space, but there are cats and dogs roaming the condo and I don't want them getting into the closet, as they have in the past. So I was wondering if the most effective thing to do is to add a latch. It is a double sliding door closet. Is there a better way to keep the pets out? Or what materials would I need to take care of this? Thank you!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-05-22T18:33:38+0000  by nicky54321 nicky54321

Hello nicky54321.  Welcome to the Community!

There are lots of ways to use latches and locks to secure sliding doors.  The simplest and cheapest way I know of would be to go inside the closet, close the doors and drill a 3/16" hole 4 to 5 feet up right where they overlap.  You can then get a kitchen cabinet knob of your choice and screw it on to any #8x32 pitch machine stud.  Buy a screw 3" or more long and cut off the head, or just get a small threaded rod and cut to length as shown below.

When you want to secure the doors, just close them and insert the "bolt" you just made.  The doors cannot open unless you pull that bolt back out.

Chris.

>
Posted 2018-05-22T20:00:54+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Hello nicky54321 and welcome to the Community.

You could put a latch on each end to secure to the door jamb, the doors shut . 

You could also drill one or 2  hole though both doors, where they overlap, when they are in the closed position.  Then put a locking pin through the hole.  The locking pin can be anything that can be inserted easily in and out of the hole.  It would be handy, to have it on string or rope that would hang from the top, to keep it close and usable.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte
Posted 2018-05-22T20:02:12+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+