Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

I found wide planked wood under my carpet, how do I know if I can refinish it?

I live in an old farmhouse, and the wood is a nice wide plank, but it isn't level and has a bit of gaping between the boards.  There are a couple of metal plates(2"X3") randomly placed on the floor.  I also have an issue with a section around the forced air vent in the middle of the room. It looks like the original boards were cut and replaced with plywood.  Will I be able to find boards to replace where the plywood is put?  Most of the floor had been stained or painted at one time, but looks like it would be easy enough to sand off.  Any ideas? Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-26T19:07:53+0000  by bgrim67 bgrim67

Plenty of places sell "reclaimed" lumber so replacing any missing boards should be easy enough.  Of course, you'll need to know what kind of wood you have.

As for sanding, remember that any old paint is likely to contain lead and you'll need to take the necessary precautions.  It's also possible that the wood isn't "first quality" which is why it was painted.  It might be best to do a small area or two to see what you have.

Don't know about the metal plates.  I'd suspect something to address a structural issue but who knows.

Posted 2014-01-26T21:21:21+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+