Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

I hate garbage disposals, and since mine stopped working I want to remove it. How?

My garbage disposal stopped working and now it's not allowing the dishwasher to empty into the drain, instead overflowing into my sink.  How do I remove the disposal and just connect the dishwasher drain line to the sink drain?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-12T17:19:14+0000  by abey-baby abey-baby

Hello abey-baby and welcome to the community!

Sounds like you have a messy situation. My first question is, does the sink drain if you use it as a regular sink, even though the garbage disposal doesn't work?

My best guess would be that the sink doesn't empty at all, so all of the water & debris from the dishwasher that empties into the disposal and can't go through it to to the sewer line.  

You will need to find your owners manual, if you can't find it, go online to the manufactures website. The manual will show you the install process, so you will do this in reverse. You will need some plumbing parts to replace the disposal. There is a possibility that the discharge pipe attached to the disposal is clogged, try to disconnect it first and clean it out. 

Here is a video that explains how to replace a garbage disposal, it might help. 

Posted 2013-05-30T16:07:36+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Hi.  The sink drains extremely slowly.  sometimes I need to bang on the disposal to get it to start draining.  Thanks for the advice, I will look up the disposal.  It was already in when I bought the house.

Posted 2013-05-30T17:39:16+0000  by abey-baby

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+